RSS

Monday, July 6, 2009

Culina Mill Creek, Edmonton - Breakfast

Culina Mill Creek
9914-89 Avenue NW
Edmonton, AB T6E 2S7
(780) 437-5588

On weekends or Holidays breakfast is something that I would normally cook for myself and Mrs. B.
Or I head out with my pal Terry and hit the Old Strathcona Farmer's Market and then "do" a breakfast at a nearby eatery. I'll be detailing some of those breakfasts and eateries here in the future

For Canada Day July 01/2009 I thought I'd do something slightly romantic and make breakfast reservations at Culina Mill Creek one of Edmonton's better restaurants for Mrs. B and myself.
For info on Culina and their locations, menus and hours please visit their website here.


WHAT I ATE.
"Our Famous Bacon & Eggs". Cost $15.00
On the menu it is described as:
Slow Braised Bacon - (was not Bacon as I know it but rather pork meat)
Mushroom Fritlata - ( a mushroom sauce on a quiche like wedge of egg)
Potato Hash - (mmmmm)
Rye Toast
A dollop of spicy ketchup.

My impressions:
I like the "fusion" cuisine at Culina this was my third visit to the Mill Creek location and I'm happy to say the food has been special every time.
This time was no exception.
The pork was very tasty without being overly salty the way bacon can be.
The mushroom sauce on the eggs made for an excellent combination.
The potatoes (which are a specialty of Culina) with small amount of the spicy ketchup made for a party in my mouth.
The Rye Toast although of good quality was by comparison the low point in the meal, but then it's just buttered toast.


WHAT MRS. B. ATE.
"Tofu Scramble" Cost $12.00
On the menu it is described as:
Pan Fried Tofo
Chickpeas
Quinoa
and Mushrooms.

Mrs. B's impressions:
She said something about it being her second favorite breakfast after a breakfast dish of another restaurant in the area who will remain nameless at this point. So that being said my impression is that she liked it which is all that is required.

After our main courses we shared what looked like a wedge of blueberry cheese cake which seemed like it was a day old.

For beverages I had black coffee (it was nothing special).
Mrs. B had some lattes (which she enjoyed very much).
When all was said and done the bill came to around the 50 dollar plus range including tip. Which is a tad pricey for breakfast but Culina is a special bistro and I was looking for a place that would make it a special time.
Mission accomplished.

Hey Mikey... he liked it.
I won't do star ratings. I'll just say it was good and I recommend Culina. Their dinner entres are also quite awesome.

For a list of and information on fine restaurants in and beyond the Edmonton area check out http://www.originalfare.com

Please leave your comments,

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Sounds tasty!

Shannon said...

Ha ha, your funny! but i love it, i'm always looking for new restraunts and things to try!!!